I needed a quick scone to bake for dinner one night, and boy are these it. I was busy making last week’s post when I realized I needed something else to go with our honey bourbon chicken and rice. Since I already had scone making stuff out, I figured making scones for dinner wouldn’t be too much effort.
The nice thing about these scones are how quickly they come together. Throw the dry ingredients together, work in the butter, add the cheese, then the milk, and that’s pretty much it. In fact, they came together so quickly that I never took pictures. I just ate the scones instead.Yield: 9 medium scones
Prep time: 10 minutes
Baking time: approx. 15 minutes
2 cups flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp red pepper flakes
2 tbsp unsalted butter, chopped
2 tbsp Sriracha sauce
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
3/4 to 1 cup 1% milk
1) Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2) Combine dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, salt, and red pepper flakes.
3) Add the 2 tbsp butter and work in with your fingertips or a pastry blender until it resembles coarse sand.
3) Add the Sriracha sauce and stir to mix.
4) Add the cheeses and toss with a spoon.
5) Add milk, starting with 1/2 cup and add more as necessary until you get a dough that just comes together with a few floury bits at the bottom. Give the dough a knead or two.
6) Use your spoon to dollop six equal scones onto a parchment lined sheet. Sprinkle extra cheese on top.
7) Bake at 400F for about 15 minutes, or until the cheese on top begins to brown and the edges of the scone turn golden.
8) Enjoy warm or cold.
Mmmm. These were a great, spur of the moment scone to throw together to go with our dinner of honey bourbon chicken and rice. The spices complement the cheese nicely, and went well even with the honey bourbon flavor.